Wednesday, June 27, 2007
At Last, Baby Beatrix is on Ebay
Well to say that this doll was a challenge is the understatement of the year. This doll went through several changes. The biggest was her legs. Oh man, they just wouldn't stay together. The clay leg would just pop right out of it's cloth leg. I wound up taking off the cloth legs and tossing them into trash. Well they went into the trash after I threw them across the room in frustration. So with a pencil and drafting tools, I designed a new leg and decided to make it hinged so she could bend at the knee. For added security, I glued the leg into the cloth and covered the join with ribbon. Normally, I just sculpt the lower leg directly onto a cloth leg. But for some reason I decided to try a more traditional technique using sewing buttons. Never again! Okay, perhaps "never" is too strong a word to use, but it will be awhile before I do it again. The last headache was her dress. I was originally going to use this awesome yellow silk, but it just didn't go with her overall appearance. So I thought I would use one of my favorite calico prints, but the armholes were too small for her. That got tossed as well. In desperation, I pulled out boxes of fabric and the plain pink broadcloth just seemed to be right. So after careful re-measurements, I found inspiration in one of the best doll books around, The Collector's Book of Doll Clothes by the Coleman sisters, and made a new dress pattern for Baby Beatrix.
At any rate, Baby Beatrix is now up for auction on Ebay. Click here to go to the auction. I hope you can stop by and place a bid. A lot of work has gone into this doll. At least watch her so you can enlarge my ego. I love seeing how many people are watching.
Without a doubt, my next doll is going to be another big-nosed fairy. I need to make something whimsical to lighten my dollmaking mood.