Mailing List

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Harpy: Nibblefest Entry for May 20

My entry for this month's Nibblefest is an art doll named Harpy. According to Wikipedia a Harpy is the following:
In Greek mythology, the Harpies (snatchers) were beautiful winged women best known for constantly stealing all food from Phineas before he could eat any of it, enforcing a punishment declared by Zeus, although at least one mythological tradition has the Harpies defiling the food instead of stealing it. This led them into conflict with the Argonauts. In later traditions they were transformed into winged hags with sharp bird-talons, which is how they are popularly known.

A medieval depiction of a Harpy.

What the heck is Nibblefest?

Nibblefest Art Contest (NFAC) is a themed art contest beginning on the 20th of each month on Ebay. The person with the most unique bids wins an award they can display on their "me" page. All auctions last for seven days. Some may choose to do a five or three day auction, but it still has to end on the same date as the seven day auction. To make it fair, the auctions must start at 99 cents. So go check it out by searching NFAC on Ebay or if you are interested in joining the group, please click here.

I made my Harpy in one day. That's right, I was busy working on other dolls and just didn't have time to focus. I already knew what I wanted to make. So it was easy to design a pattern and go from there. I am proud of my doll. It's neat what you can do when you have a deadline.



No comments: